Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Labor day love labor

It was a rather uneventful Labor Day yesterday, but ended somewhat nicely at C2G attending Seth & May's cd release party for her new Love Labor cd. There's a nice article on Seth Bernard and May Erlewine HERE. (Note: this picture is not from last night)

I don't know if this was the second or third time I have heard Seth and May, but I love this couple. And they played with an excellent band last night too: superb drumming, and a stand-up bass. But these two lovebirds are the center. May is a flower of a girl even in her great-big-huge boots, and her voice is like the morning dew. I could watch her smile and sway forever. Seth is the perfect complement - his point-guard skills scanning the band and crowd and his playing always on cue; enviously long hair down his back; and he doesn't really *play* the guitar... it's more like he holds his old Gretsch and music comes straight from his fingers. May's strumming and Seth's licks and leads are almost as perfect as the graciousness this couple shows one another on stage. I can't really describe it any other way than they just have 'a look.' As I have said many times - you show me people who appear to love what they're doing, and I will watch them for any amount of money. It is a joy watching them play. I would love to book them for the pavilion sometime. If only I knew if anyone else would like it too.

It was a somewhat bittersweet evening, as Lady Jane was at class so I attended by myself. Brad greeted me as I walked in, and that made me feel better (we had a left-hand shake). There were a few moments that were like first-level heaven too. I don't know many of their songs by name, but there were two that drew tears and sent me sailing. And 2 of the 3 covers were equally moving - Dylan's "I Shall Be Released" was mesmerizing, and some Van Morrison before they ended with an old Hank tune had everyone calling for more.

It was a nice night.

No comments: