Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If the tea party was black

A very intriguing post from Tim Wise via Ephphatha Poetry. It starts out...
Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters - the black protesters - spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn't like were enforced by the government? Would these protesters - these black protesters with guns - be seen as brave defenders of the Second Amendment, or would they...

Go HERE is you care to read the rest.

You know, I remember when Obama first got elected and people were celebrating the end of racism in this country. I wasn't so sure. In fact, I can remember commenting on a few blog posts that we may not have put the issue entirely to rest just yet. I wish I had been wrong. To me, part of the problem is that so many people really don't even realize just how racist they are. If you asked them they would deny it, because they believe it. But it is so ingrained in them that they can't even see it. I don't know... maybe I'm wrong. I just think a lot of the craziness going on today has to do with inner fears. Again, I think for many they may not even be aware of their fear. I wish it were not so, though. I just don't think I have ever seen the lunacy that is going on regarding politics in this country. At least not that I can remember. Some insane stuff.

Anyway... just thinking. By the way, I am NOT saying the writer of this article is racist. The people he is writing about might be. I also don't believe it is the whole reason for people acting the way they are, but I think it helps explain a lot of it. Can you imagine?

Peace out; and in.

2 comments:

Jim L said...

Racism's alive and well where I live, I can tell you that. And many here don't even deny it (at least not in private conversation). They're proud of it.

dan said...

Well, yeah, there are plenty of those around these parts too. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

You know, in all honesty, I really have no idea how to address people like that.