Monday, September 27, 2010

Nice and busy

This weekend was kind of a blur, and I'm not really sure why. It was busy, but nice.

Saturday we both worked in the morning, needed a nap in the afternoon from a later-than-usual Friday night (where we had some brief spiritual discussions where we never really have before), and Saturday evening we took a trip down to Anderson to see the boy. We took a computer down for the Exodus House, and then we went out to eat. We ate at Ruby Tuesday's so we could drop a tip towards Caleb. I even got crazy and ordered some kinda funky chicken thing.

Yesterday was a different-than-usual Sunday, and it was good too. I didn't preach, but just led worship. And, maybe it was just me, but I thought it sounded like everyone was really singing loud yesterday. Maybe it was because more people were in the front part instead of the back. Or maybe it was because we started with "Rock of Ages." Whatever it was, I always like it when we create big sound. Then I sat back as Scott preached for us. It was a very difficult message, as it contained a lot of personal stories that have deeply affected many of us here. I was glad he shared. There were lots of teary eyes. That's something I don't normally generate much of.

Jane took supper to the ladies at Charis House in the afternoon, then last night we started our 'Fairview Foundations' class. I'm thinking of changing the name of it again. I don't know why I don't just call it the "Present Future Study"... because that's what it is. We're using Reggie McNeal's DVD study for his book "The Present Future." The church council worked through the book several years ago, and I felt we needed more people to get on board with this stuff, but I've been putting it off for way too long (four months more). So we finally pulled the plug yesterday, and will likely meet for 10 sessions or so. I think it would be great if we could even create sort of a core group that met on a continued basis, but I'm trying not to get too carried away.

I had actually been pretty nervous about this, because you never know how things like this can go. I was afraid no one would show up, or that all the wrong people would show up; but I was pleasantly surprised. I think there were 17 of us there last night. And we met in the basement, which I think makes it a lot better for conversation than the sanctuary. I'm trying to keep myself positive and open on this whole thing. Caring about other people is hard work, but it can be done. We had some great discussion last night and I hope lots of people come back, because we need to talk about stuff like this; we need to talk, period. I was especially glad some of the younger people were there.

Anyway, I feel the winds a'blowin'... It's fall... You just never know what might happen.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: