Sunday, November 07, 2010

Words of wisdom

It's kind of been one of those weeks, so I've been thinking about the best advice I've received over the years. These three gems stand out for me:

1. Don't do anything stupid.
One of my old pastors, and mentors, and my homiletics prof in seminary, Larry White, told me this. It was in his last days. He actually asked someone to contact Jane and I and have us come visit him. I perhaps felt more honored by that request than any I've ever had. Anyway, we sat in his living room and he said, "Dan, just don't do anything stupid and you'll be ok." I wish I had remembered it more often.

2. Love Jesus and do what you want.
I'm not sure who originated this phrase, but the first person I heard it from was Lance Ford. Of course, Lance later ridiculed me in front of a group of people, so I've kind of not liked him ever since then, but I like this quote. Because if you love Jesus, then what you want will be what Jesus wants. That is something I could pattern my life after.

3. If you're tired of beating your head against the wall... stop.
Pastor Joe was just getting ready to retire from a nearby UM church when I was just getting started. He was in our group of pastors that meet each week. One day I was feeling down because I felt like I sucked at leadership development, at pastoring, and I couldn't seem to inspire people to do anything, and I said, "I'm just tired of beating my head against the wall." And Joe simply said, "So stop." And it was like a light bulb went off in my head. Why beat my head against the wall? Just do what I can do, and leave it at that.

So there ya go. This is where I'm at at the moment... Trying to not do anything stupid; trying to love Jesus; and trying not to beat my head against the wall. Lord, I could use some help though.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: