Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jane's birthday (my addiction)

Today is my lovely wife's birthday. It was almost the cat's deathday (she kept us up half the night with her shenanigans). At any rate, Happy Birthday, dear!

This was quite a year. She (Jane, not the cat) graduated from college with a degree in organizational leadership. Then got a chance to put it into practice when she was promoted to branch manager at the bank. Then for just a little icing... she became a GRANDMOTHER this year! Oh, and we also became cat owners this past year too (almost forgot). So it's been quite a year.

Last night I was laying in bed going over what I can remember from our first date. If I remember correctly it was 30 years ago that we started dating. We had known each other in grade school and middle school (briefly sitting beside one another in MS band), but it was our last year of high school that we started dating. We had an English class together and I think I sat in front of her. One day I commented that I liked her new finger nail polish (which I did - she has always had pretty hands), and I think that was what got me in the door. Then on her 17th birthday I stuck a little poem in her locker. It read, "Roses are red, violets are blue, I hope it's a happy, birthday for you." After school she came up to me in the hallway holding the note. I thought she was mad, but I think she was just nervous. She asked if I put it in her locker. I don't know if it was then, or a day or two later, that we arranged for our first date - which was actually on March 2 or 3, in 1981. We went to a girls volleyball game in Tampico, IL (yes, the birthplace of Ronald Reagan). I believe afterward we spent some time parking in a cemetery (not for any hanky panky, but just to talk). The rest, as they say, is history. :)

So... I'm not sure what the plans are for the day yet, but I have given her the day off from having to play piano at church. Not that I think she minds doing it, but I don't think most people realize what it's like for people who NEVER get the chance to just worship and sing like everyone else. She plays keys every week, teaches a Sunday School class every week, organizes most of our social events at the church, as well as puts up with me. I am married to one amazing woman.

I love you, dear. Hope you have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

JAH said...

I know we already talked about this but yes, those were the exact words of the poem, which I am sure I will never forget. It has been quite a year and I look forward to each one we are blessed with. Love ya.