Friday, April 29, 2011

We have moved

Moving day has come and gone. We are now living at our new house in Fort Wayne. We moved the furniture Wednesday night, and that was our first night sleeping here. Fortunately we had our internet hooked up Wednesday afternoon, so we didn't have to go without internet at all. And, let me tell you, this fios stuff is nice. We got the cheapest internet from Frontier/Verizon, and it is waaaaaay better than what we had - and cheaper too!

Wednesday started off as a nice day. It was supposed to rain, but stayed pretty clear all day. That is, of course, until it came time to move. It started raining right around 5:30 or 6, which is when we started moving. At least it never rained hard (until during the night, later on).

I have to say, this was one of the better moves we've had. We had a great group of people show up to help. Bob, Matt, Shelley, Greg, Joan, Scott, Linda, Katie, Megan, Drew, Carrie, and Anna (did I forget anybody?). Greg brought his enclosed trailer, and Drew had a moving truck from work, so everything fit easily in one trip and nothing got wet. Even though we had already moved a lot of the boxed stuff (we've been trying to bring a load with us every time we came to paint or work on the house), there still seemed to be more left than I thought there should be. We had the couch, 2 chairs, tv, tv cart, treadmill, washer and dryer, desk, marble-top table, bed, 2 dressers, filing cabinets, and some other odds and ends. At any rate, I think it only took a little over an hour, and then we all had pizza and pop. There were no accidents, nothing got broke, and everything seems to be accounted for. The worst thing seemed to be the green couch. I wasn't here, but apparently it won't fit through the front door. I probably would have brought it through the garage, but they took off the patio door and brought it through there.

The worst part of the whole move was probably the cat. She had been freaking out for weeks as we started packing stuff up and slowly moving it out. Wednesday she was just terrified. At first she hid under the recliner, until someone tipped it over. Then she hid under the bed. I tried and tried to coax her out, but she wouldn't let me get ahold of her. Megan was finally able to get her to come to her, so I grabbed her and tried to put her in her cage. She fought and clawed and managed to get away from me. Then Megan just grabbed her and put her right in. Hmm... must have that 'child's touch.' Anyway, I just threw a blanket over the cage and put Kitty in the car. When we got to the new place I kept her in the cage under the blanket for awhile so she could get acclimated. She doesn't like open spaces, or lots of people around. We finally let her out later on in the night and showed her where the litter box is in the laundry room. She immediately ran around the corner and hid under the stairs. Just before we went to bed she finally came out for awhile. Then, after we went to bed, she started to explore. She woke us up several times during the night. I think she's starting to like the new place.

I did finally hook the tv up last night (just with an antenna for local channels). I have to say, it's actually been kind of nice not having tv. I think we could probably do without one. However, I was a little disappointed to not get to see the NFL draft. Though I can probably watch it on the internet now.

Today I need to try to mow (if the rain holds off), get the washer and dryer set up, and go out to the other house and get the few odds and ends that are still out there. I also need to start cleaning the old house, and I need to mow out there too. Then we need to start putting things away in the new house.

Actually, besides the cat, the worst part of this whole move has been my allergies. Wednesday my nose decided to start running like a faucet. So that was fun while trying to move stuff. I also have a sore throat and stuffed up head and chest. I think it's because the trees are all blooming. My nose is better today, but my throat is still somewhat sore. Last night I collapsed around 9:15, and slept until 6 this morning. A good nights sleep did wonders.

Well, I guess I'm not getting anything done while sitting here. Hop to it.

Peace out; and in. From the city.

No comments: