Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Books

I just finished reading my last 2 books for the Missional Leadership Initiative (I think). They were To Transform A City by Eric Swanson and Sam Williams, and Good To Great And The Social Sectors by Jim Collins. Both were good. I thought To Transform A City was very practical and gave good direction as to what exactly they were talking about and how to do it. I know some people complained that it didn't apply to them because they didn't live in a major city. I thought it was clearly applicable regardless of city size. My only problem is that I see myself as having more of a "fringe" ministry, and I'm not sure what they would say about that.

As for Good To Great And The Social Sectors, this was not the regular book 'Good To Great,' but was meant as a monograph to accompany that book. However, even if you didn't read 'Good To Great' (I didn't), it is still worthwhile as a stand-alone. It is only 35 pages, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is easy reading. It wasn't really the type of book that I like to read anyway, but it was still helpful.

Now I'm trying to decide what to read next. On deck are Scot McKnight's book One.Life: Jesus Calls, We Follow, and Frost and Hirsch's The Faith of Leap: Embracing A Theology of Risk, Adventure, and Courage.

I am probably leaning towards One.Life, because I haven't read any of Scot's books in awhile, and I really resonate with his writing. I need something to feed my soul, and I'm hoping that might do the trick. We'll see.

Peace out; and in.

No comments: