Friday, August 05, 2011

Concert and hog roast tonight

I suppose I should write something about this beforehand. I pretty much assume nobody reads my blog anymore, but if anyone in the area still does... We are having a public concert and hog roast at our pavilion tonight. It is located at 5511 Yoder Road, Yoder, IN (right next to Fairview Church).

Music is being provided by The Junkyard Band. This is a seasoned band that has been in the area for a long time and has a pretty good local following. They play mostly classic oldies rock. They are a fun band and I have seen them several times. Their drummer has three daughters who all attend our church. The band will start around 7 pm, and it is free.

There will be food available from about 6:30 on throughout the night. Pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, and stuff, along with various drinks (sorry, no alcohol). The food is priced reasonably (in other words, I don't know how much it is), and all the proceeds from food and drink are going to help a family go on a mission trip to work at an orphanage in the Dominican Republic this winter. So I'm hoping for a lot of food sales.

I still have not decided on the best spot for the band to set up. I suppose under the pavilion along the south wall. There are usually a lot of people dancing at JYB shows, and that would be best under the pavilion on the concrete. However, I was thinking about having them play from under the pavilion out towards the east, and people could sit/stand in the grass looking towards the west. This would be better for a larger crowd, but I am probably going to plan on a smaller crowd - even though it sounds like there could be quite a few coming. I dunno. See what kind of mood I'm in this afternoon. At any rate, if you are coming and have lawn chairs, you might want to throw them in (or a blanket).

I've had a few calls this week from people who saw our sign that were excited we were having the Junk Yard Band. We didn't really advertise much though, so we'll see. I think it will be fun. Come on out if you are in the area!

2 comments:

Tom said...

If the crowd looks toward the west won't they be looking into the sun all evening? Or does the pavilion block that?

dan said...

The pavilion would have blocked it at that time of night - if the sun had been out; and if we had done it that way. The band opted for the south end and it worked out splendidly. They needed the dance floor! It was a nice time.