Sunday, July 08, 2012

Goodbye vacation

Vacation for my 2011-2012 contract year is over today. I've been off for 2 weeks and go back to work tomorrow, with no more vacation time until August 1. Then I get another 4 weeks. Hopefully I can make it a month and not need anymore time off.

I didn't really have any big plans for this 2-week vacation/staycation. There were a few things around the house I wanted to do. I hoped to pain the trim along the garage door and the front door step. Didn't get that done. I looked at paint, but it was just too darn hot the whole time. I also wanted to build a platform to put the rain barrel on - so it is higher off the ground and has better flow. I did manage to build the platform (yesterday), but haven't got the rain barrel moved yet. Below is a pic of it.

We also bought this nifty Little Tikes wagon for Anna. We have an old, old, old wagon, but it makes so much noise. We were walking through Toys R Us the other night - just for something to do - and this wagon was 25% off this weekend. So we made a spur-of-the-moment decision and bought what was a $100 wagon for $75. It was pretty easy to put together, and I think Anna really likes it!

Otherwise, this vacation involved a lot of doing nothing. We did go back to Illinois the first weekend - for Jane's and my class reunions. We left on Friday morning and got back Sunday night. Then Drew, Carrie, Anna and Lady stayed with us from Monday afternoon through Wednesday morning - because their power was out. Then our power was out Thursday night and Friday morning. Other than that... not too much happened. It was so hot that I couldn't do a lot outside. I ran most days, but never did manage to do the 10 miles that I'd hoped to. I had a brief problem with my legs when we were in Illinois. They finally got back to normal but I decided to ease back into things. I think they're back to normal.

I did make 2 trips to the shoe store to get new running shoes, but they didn't have my size in the ones I was looking at. They're supposed to call me when they come in.

I also wanted to get Bob Dylan tickets for August 24, but every time I go by Parkview Field the ticket office isn't open.

We kept Anna overnight last night (Drew was in a wedding in Indy). Today we're planning to go to Fellowship Missionary Church (for the first time).

All in all it was a pretty decent vacation. I got some much needed rest. Didn't think about work too awful much. Things didn't go exactly as I'd hoped, but I think I'm ready to go back to work now. Not looking forward to going through 2 weeks worth of mail though.

No comments: