Sunday, September 02, 2012

Worship outside

We had our worship gathering outside under the pavilion this morning. I wasn't sure until about 9:30 if we would be able to or not because of the rain. It rained yesterday, and was supposed to rain last night and all day today (remnants from the hurricane). However it turned out to be pretty nice. It was a bit humid, and I sweat through a t-shirt before anyone even got there, but it was a pretty darn good morning (I thought).

I wasn't expecting a big crowd since it was a holiday (not that we have very big crowds anymore anyway). But there were more than I thought there would be. I only set up 20 chairs, plus all the picnic tables. They were fairly well used up. The singing was also pretty good too - if I do say so myself. I just played guitar, and Shelley and I sang. And we couldn't hear A THING because we had no monitor, but we could really hear everyone else singing. We sang everything kind of slow and easy, and it just seemed to go really well for some odd reason.

I always get nervous preaching outside, because it takes me out of my element. But even that didn't go so bad (for me). I tried doing this thing where, at the start, I just sat in my chair when it was time to get up and preach. I read about it in a magazine. I was supposed to try to sit there for 5 minutes... To create some discomfort. I was only able to do it for 2 1/2 minutes, and that seemed like it was forever. But it turned out alright. Everyone was pretty talkative this morning.

Anyway, so we had out obligatory 'outdoor' worship service this summer. It's not a great deal of work, but it just leaves a lot of things up in the air. I'm glad it's over, and even gladder that it went well. Drew, Carrie & Anna went to church in Anderson this morning so they weren't there. Son Isaac was preaching at the Mercy House, and they had a wedding in Indianapolis this evening. So I missed them being there. Otherwise it was an ok day.

No comments: