Wednesday, January 09, 2013

How to soften a beard

I haven't shaved since November 2, so my beard is starting to fill in nicely. I can't grow much hair on my head anymore, but I've always been able to grow a good beard. The only problem is, my beard hair comes in pretty course. So I set out to see if there was something I could use to perhaps soften it up a bit.

First I asked a friend of mine - who has a looooong beard - what he did. He said you just need to let it grow (and not trim it) and it will eventually soften up. He also suggested putting a dab of vaseline on it. I haven't been trimming mine, so I tried the vaseline. I didn't like the greasy feel, and it has a strange odor.

So I did what everyone does when they don't know what to do.... I did a Google search. The only problem was - I found every answer under the sun. Some people said you just need to wash it with shampoo, like your hair. Others said the trick was to NOT wash it with shampoo. And there were all sorts of suggestions in between.

I finally thought, "What about that leave-in hair conditioner?" Jane uses that sometimes (not on her beard), so I bought the brand she uses: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-in Conditioning Cream. It comes in this medium-size bright green bottle in the shampoo section. It actually seems to be doing the trick for me. It didn't seem to help much at first, but after a week or two of just putting a dime-size dab on each morning and rubbing it in real good, it really seems to have softened up. And even though it has an odor, I'm kind of starting to like the smell. It's a lot better than vaseline. So I'm sticking with this. I realize everyone's beard hair grows in differently (just like the hair on our head), but if your beard is really course like mine.... I suggest you give this stuff a try (or any kind of leave-in conditioner).

Peace out; and in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just started using it tonight. My intentions are different however. The skin under my beard gets dry, itchy and flaky occasionally and it's pretty unpleasant. So I am hoping that this clears it up! Glad to see it has other benefits as well.