Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In search of contentment

My counselor told me last week that the place we are trying to arrive at is: contentment. He says it comes about through this formula: Reality/Expectations=Contentment. So, when someone is emotionally unhealthy like me, I either need to change the reality of my situation, my expectations, or both.

On the surface it seems pretty simple. However when you factor in personality and emotions and perceptions and the inner workings of the brain, etc.... Well, that's where the counseling comes in.

The goal is Philippians 4:11-13...
...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Ultimately everything boils down to trust in God.

No comments: