Saturday, April 27, 2013

First mowing (home)

I mowed our lawn at home yesterday. It wasn't terribly high, and I raised the deck still, but it looks nicer just being leveled off. And our sturdy old push mower is still a champ. I just put some gas in it, pulled three times, and it ran like a charm. I am sure it will now start on the first pull for the rest of the summer. I'm more worried about the deck and the wheels though. I had thought I might need to get a new mower this summer, but I may need to wait on that. I think this mower is actually older than our kids. It's at least older than Isaac.

I do need to do something about a few spots in the yard where I burned the grass when I tried to fertilize it last year. I got it too heavy and now there are a couple areas where there is no grass. I have no idea what to do, but I plan to work on that in the next few weeks.

Also, this will be the only lawn I am mowing this summer. I will not be mowing at the church this year. That will be kind of nice - although I will miss the extra money. Nothing lasts forever though. I was actually known as the "mowing pastor" to some people in blog world. Apparently it is somewhat of a novelty to other church leaders who don't have to do things like that.

I would still like to have a nice lawn at home. I'm just a little scared to do too much though, because I don't want to burn the whole dang thing. So I'll think about it. I was really glad the mower started.

3 comments:

MR said...

In "Forrest Gump" they told the story of one man who stumbled upon some of the landmark events of his time, but I thought it was very telling that they also espoused the virtues of running and mowing the lawn. I think these are monk-like rituals of meditation that allow us to distill our thoughts from all the distraction and extract ideas from the coalescing cloud of data, patterns and creativity. Based on the way Forrest made simple but dead-on conclusions, one gets the impression they should have some form of meditation in their life when they compile everything that's thrown at them.

MR said...

also: "woof."

dan said...

Haha... awesome. And let's not forget that swell beard Forrest ended up with too (while running). :)