Monday, May 20, 2013

Isaac preaching and the tonne winery

Yesterday was a pretty good day all the way around. M'Lady and I started the day by taking a 3+ mile run first thing in the morning. Then we drove to Anderson and went to son Isaac's church. He was preaching. It was nice.

They had a pretty small gathering of people yesterday - around twenty, I'd guess - and I believe everyone except Jane and I were in their twenties. But we felt very comfortable. They are meeting in the basement of the First Methodist Church of Anderson. It's a better space than they had before as far as I'm concerned. A young (18-ish) guy led some songs on the guitar, they had a 'praise & lament' time (I think that's what they called it), they prayed, and Isaac preached. He spoke on the 'Serenity Prayer' yesterday, and not only did an excellent job, but it really spoke to me and was exactly what I needed to hear. So I was not only a proud papa, but a thankful one too.

After the service we went to the Exodus House for a bit and checked out the new fence and new shed, then we went out for lunch at Eva's. I had my usual Sunday breakfast for lunch. Then we dropped Isaac off and headed for home.

On the way home Jane wanted to stop at the Tonne Winery in rural Muncie. Daughter Carrie had just given her a bottle of wine from there and she wanted to check the place out. It's a neat little place and the people working there were very friendly. We tried several samples of different wines and then had a wine slushy while we tried to pick out what we wanted to buy. We bought three different kinds - for gifts and for personal use. I was glad we stopped by.

By the way, I was glad to hear son Isaac use the full, original version of the Serenity Prayer in his sermon. I think most people are only familiar with the shortened version - which is good too - but the full version attributed to Reinhold Niebuhr is much more powerful in my mind. Here it is:
God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

No comments: