Friday, June 07, 2013

Carrie turns 28

Today is daughter Carrie's 28th birthday. Wow, that's hard to believe. It seems like just yesterday that she was running around like her own daughter (Anna) does today.

Carrie is still working full-time (and then some) as a stay-at-home mom. And she is one of the best mom's I have ever known. I am constantly amazed at how she is with the kids almost all day every day and still keeps her sanity. Plus the fact that she doesn't let having children keep her from having a life either. She takes them wherever she goes and does a great job of helping to mold them into regular people (adults) rather than catering to their every whim so they think childishness is normal behavior. One thing Jane and I always say is that Carrie is a way better parent than either of us ever were.... And I think our kids turned out alright, so hers ought to be even better. It can't be easy watching a 2 1/2 year-old and and 8 month-old full time, but she makes it look like a piece of cake. I'm not sure she realizes just how good of a job she does.

This has been an 'interesting' year for Carrie. Drew got a new job - on the railroad - which has it's good points and bad. He makes more money, and doesn't have to work multiple jobs..... but he's also gone a lot more and it's pretty demanding work. And then there is the addition of Bennett. The boy was born on 10-11-12, which really helps in remembering his birth date, and it brought a lot of changes to the household too. He is a bundle (and a big bundle at that) of joy. I have never seen a baby who smiled so much. Anna has pretty much accepted him. She is fairly protective of him, but pretty obviously misses her time as "momma's girl" too. They are a nice little family though.

One thing Carrie has started this year is really getting into working out. She goes to AWP Sports at their new facility near Glenbrook Mall. Not only has she lost Bennett's baby weight, but she is probably fitter than she has ever been in her life. You can tell by looking at her physically, but also by her attitude. I think this may be one of the best things she's ever undertaken. I also think it's been good for Anna and Bennett to go and learn to stay with other kids and sitters while there.

And one more thing... Carrie has also been serving as the Office Manager for our church while I have been on sabbatical this summer. I'm sure there were plenty of capable people who could have done so, but she was really my first and only choice to fill the role. If I am going to have someone in my office messing with my stuff.... I want it to be someone I can trust, and someone who knows me. There are few people who know me as well as my daughter. It has been a big relief to me to know that I don't have to worry about that while I am away.

Anyway, we gave Carrie her gift (money) last night when we went over to babysit so her and Drew could go out for supper. We will be getting together with her and Isaac at a later date to celebrate both their birthdays together. Plus the family vacation to Myrtle Beach later this month.

We continue to be very proud of our daughter, and I'm sure this will be another fun and exciting year for her.

No comments: