Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Lunch with stephen

I had lunch yesterday with Stephen D. He is the finance guy for the Central District of the Missionary Church headquartered here in Fort Wayne. It went really well. It was also an odd story as to how it came about. Like the day after we found out I was being released at my former church Jane ran into him. He commented that she looked tired; then said, "Oh, that's right, you're a pastor's spouse aren't you?" So he said he and his wife would pray for us. Then a few days later he happened by again and inquired as to how things were going. Eventually he asked if he could call me, which he did. We've had several exchanges since then, and finally met face-to-face at Moe's for lunch yesterday. We spent an hour and a half together. It was really helpful. Apparently his job doesn't require full-time, so he also spends part of his time ministering to other ministers. Oddly enough, this guy from the Missionary Church as contacted me more than my own denominations 'minister to ministers.' Well, in fact, I have only been contacted one time by someone from my own region - the rest of the contacts have been because I initiated them. Stephen was quite surprised that our people don't have any involvement in situations like this. I've had other pastors from other denominations say the same. I guess it is what it is.

Anyway, Stephen is an interesting guy. He was born in England, and lived in Holland, Japan, India, and several places in the US. He met his American wife while they both lived in Japan. They have lived in the States since the mid-80's (or maybe mid-90's). He was great to talk and listen to me, and gave me a little book called "God Guides" by Mary Geegh. I didn't get the sense at all that he was trying to "recruit" me, but just genuinely seemed to care and wanted to help if there was any way he could. So that was nice.

No comments: