Saturday, March 01, 2014

Wine and canvas with m'lady

One of my presents to Jane for her birthday was going together to Wine and Canvas. We've talked about doing this for a long time, and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to finally do it. It was great fun.

I was a little worried I might be the only guy there, but there were plenty of guys; and besides, I would have enjoyed it anyway. I like to paint and draw and things. I'm guessing there were about 50 people there ranging in age from their 20's to their 80's. Some people were quite experienced, but I would guess most had never painted a picture before in their life. No one needed to feel intimidated.

All of our painting supplies were included in the $35/person price. We were set up with a framed canvas, our paints, brushes, and aprons. For this particular picture (Moonlit Birch) we only needed 4 colors: black, white, blue and purple. We also had 4 different sized brushes. They also have a small bar stocked with wine, beer, soda and water, as well as snacks for munching before, during, or after painting (grapes, cheese & crackers, etc.). I went with the Miller Genuine Draft - which was reasonably priced at $3 a bottle.

The event was scheduled from 7-10 pm. We arrived at 6:45 to get checked in, get our drinks and supplies (I guess they were kind of the same thing), and so we could get seats together. People were still straggling in at 7:20, so we didn't exactly start on time, but there was plenty to keep us occupied while we waited. They have music playing throughout the night - at one point we all joined together in song - and there is a very party-type atmosphere.

When it was time to start painting, the instructor got up on a little stage at one end and displayed the finished product as well as the one she was going to paint along with us. She wore a microphone and guided us step by step through the process of painting our masterpiece. It was very easy to follow, and we were able to mingle and eat and drink and talk throughout. A very laid-back and carefree atmosphere. Again, it was loads of fun. I would definitely do it again.

If this is something that interests you, I would suggest going to the calendar on their website first and picking out the picture you would like to paint. Then you just call or stop in to book the night you want to go. I think it would be great for a date night, a girls night out, or a group of friends looking for something fun to do together. We even painted half-decent pictures ourselves. A great time.


No comments: