- Family & friends - the people who care about me and don't want me to smoke.
- Freedom - I don't want to be controlled by or tied down to cigarettes (or any other nasty habit).
- Health benefits - Cancer, heart disease, emphysema, breathing in general, sense of taste & smell, and so I can begin running again.
- The cough - I hate coughing up gunk, and just that lingering cough altogether.
- To feel better - I want to have more energy, and a clearer, cleaner mind and body.
- Time - I want to start using my time more productively and on things I want to do.
STATUS: So, after two whole days without a cigarette... I already feel better physically and mentally. The cough has been better - even at night - and my breathing seems easier. For some reason my head just feels better too. I have yet to use the nicotine gum - though I did buy some regular (sugar free) gum last night. I guess you're not supposed to chew the nicorette for at least 15 minutes after eating or drinking anything. Um... that's exactly when I want a cigarette. So I plan to chew some regular gum after eating. As far as sleeping - I did wear the patch again last night. I still had weird dreams, but not as wild as the first night. And I rested well. Today will be another challenge, with the Sales Manager working in my office for a few hours, but overall it has went pretty well so far. Sure, I still have the urge for a smoke, but I don't feel like I HAVE TO have a cigarette. I think it was mostly a boredom thing for, so it will take some serious self-discipline to get over that. I do think it was good, though, that I started making my own cigarettes a couple months ago. I have been smoking pipe tobacco, so it doesn't have quite so many chemicals as regular cigarettes, and I also don't inhale near as much. We will see. Here goes day three...