Sunday, February 08, 2015

Re-re-caulking the tub

Yesterday I re-caulked the tub/shower in my bathroom. I initially did it in September of 2013. Apparently I used too narrow of a bead of caulk though, because it had started to pull away in a few spots. I'd noticed water leaking from the ceiling in the basement off and on, or puddling on the counter right under my bathroom. I'm hoping this is what it was from.

So I used the Homax peel & stick tub & wall caulk strip. Even though I know you're supposed to remove the old caulk first, since it was so narrow I left it on and put this right over the top of it. I also used some clear silicone to touch up a few other spots (around the handles and such).

First I cleaned all along the tub and wall real good. I used a bathroom cleaner, water, then alcohol. I let it dry for several hours, then put the stuff in place. It was pretty easy to do. I just hope it works now, otherwise I'm going to have to start over from scratch. We'll see.