Saturday, March 14, 2015

Catching up

Man.... I was sick a couple days this week and it's like life has passed me by or somethin'. For the record, I was feeling better yesterday, but I started to weaken as the day went on and I wasn't worth a darn last night. I'm sure I will regain my strength as time goes on. However, here are a few things of note that happened during the past week:

THE WATER
I mentioned this yesterday, but our water is putrid. It has an odor along the lines of cat pee or a dirty wet rag. Never having tasted either of these I can't say if that is also what it tastes like, but it has a nasty taste nonetheless. The city says it is safe, and it's because of the melting snow, but whether it's safe or not doesn't matter.... it is just plain disgusting. What is interesting, though, is that it seems fine where I work - on the north side of town; while at our house - on the poorer south side - it is revolting. I don't know if this is just coincidence or not, but.... it's there. I happen to drink a lot of water, so this is kind of an issue for me. I broke down and bought some jugs of water at the store yesterday. I don't want to make a habit of it though. They say it should dissipate soon.

IT'S BECAUSE I CARE
I also wanted to mention the Three Rivers Festival. They announced the music line-up yesterday, and it seems to be highlighted by Loverboy and KC and the Sunshine Band. Really? Those seem more like low-lights. Fortunately there are other bands that I like (Pink Droyd, James and the Drifters, etc), and there are much better festivals (Ribfest is my personal favorite), but as I was pondering this whinefest in my head it occurred to me that the reason I complain about this (and the water issue) is because I happen to love the city I now live in. I complain because I care. It concerns me. I want something to be done about it. I'm not just trying to ridicule someone; I want it to be better. I believe a lot of people fail to see this in true prophetic-type complaints. Sure, there are those who complain just because they're grumpy and they hate everything and everyone, but sometimes that is not the case. Anyway, I was thinking about that this morning.

NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
I suppose the biggest news from the week was that my friend, Lance, was named the new Executive Director of the denomination that holds my ordination. This is a pretty big deal, and I was pretty shocked by it personally. I totally did not see this coming. That said, I can't really say yet if I think it is a good thing or not. I am pretty much completely out of the loop in our denomination anymore - which is sad in and of itself - so I suppose there is much I do not know. Nonetheless, I wish Lance the best. I also wish I still cared as much about the denomination as I used to (or as much as I care about FW), but the disappointing truth is... I don't. I would like to, but I tired of beating my head against that wall. The point was taken. I have moved on. Still, this is significant.

PI DAY
Lastly, as 3/14/15, it is "Pi Day" (3.1415). We won't have this on our calendar for another 100 years. Pi, of course, aside from being a Greek letter, is also used to represent the most widely known mathematical constant. It is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to it's diameter. Pi (3.14)=Circumference/diameter. I mentioned it being Pi Day to several people yesterday and they all said something about it being "nerdy." The fact is, I used to use Pi ALL THE TIME when I did factory work making chimney parts. If I needed a piece of sheet metal to make a 6" diameter section of chimney, I multiplied 6x3.14 and cut a piece to that length. So it's not really just for nerds. You might be amazed at some of the mathematical calculations you find drawn with marker on the inside of sheet metal parts throughout the world by factory workers. We used to do a lot of math by hand, or in our head, to figure lengths, diameters, angles, ratios, and whatnot. I know I used to be amazed by it.

So, there ya go. It's a warm, gray, rainy, dirty Spring day. Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow. Hopefully I will feel better again too.