Sunday, October 04, 2015

15 miles


Yesterday I ran the farthest I've ever run without stopping. I actually ran 14.25 miles, and then walked another mile for a cool-down. I am counting it as 15 miles. Even my gps watch said, "Way to go!" when I was done.

It took me 2 1/2 hours, and there was an intermittent drizzle of rain. Plus it was was only about 50f and there was a brisk breeze. I wore a stocking cap, a long sleeve shirt with a sweatshirt over it, and my compression sleeves on my lower legs. I did 13.1 in 2 hrs. 6 minutes.

I actually felt pretty good through 11 miles. I have to say, though, the last few miles were killer. I don't know if it was because I'd only done 2 short runs last week, if it was because I'd just run a half the week before, or if it was because I never did stop for a drink or take any gel chews with me. I thought I was never going to get back to the house, and my lower legs were as stiff and sore as I can remember them ever being. Fortunately I didn't get any blisters, but I did forget to put anti-chaff stuff on my nipples, so they are still very raw and sore.

I do feel better today, though stairs are still a bit of a challenge. So I don't know if a marathon is in my future or not. I will attempt to still add a mile to my long run each week, but it may just be too much for me. We'll see.