Friday, December 18, 2015

Another auction done and the crazy cat lady gone

Work has been just a tad tedious lately. I had another storage auction yesterday. While they can be somewhat interesting, they are really quite a pain for those of us who work there. There are countless phone calls, emails and letters that must be sent. Paperwork has to be gone over with a fine tooth comb. At best there are deals and decisions to be made. Once it's over there is yet more paperwork and detail work to go along with getting the units rentable again. Not to mention that we never come close to recovering the money lost through an auction. So, suffice it to say, I am glad this auction is over. At least I only had 6 units. I thought most of them were pretty good, but the highest bid on any was only $550.

Other than that, I have been dealing with this crazy cat lady since Monday. It's a long story, but this person was evicted from her home, and I ended up driving the truck for her from there to our facility. When I went to pick her up, she proceeded to bring along SIX cats!!!! The first day I just tried to pretend that it didn't happen. When she came to my office the next morning I realized she and the cats had all stayed in her storage unit overnight. I told her she cannot do that, and she needed to find a place for the cats too. We had several conversations that day, and I tried to emphasize the seriousness of the situation each time. I'm sure I wasn't fully able to understand the seriousness of someone who had just become homeless and didn't have any friends or family in the area. I finally offered to take her to a women's shelter and to take her cats to the city animal control, but she assured me she would be gone by morning. Well, guess what, she was still there Wednesday morning... and the entire day. She kept coming in and using my bathroom, and getting warmed in the office. I could appreciate her dilemma, but she was really starting to annoy me, and I'm not sure she doesn't have some "issues." I had spent a lot of time praying about things and was trying to be compassionate, but I'm pretty easy for people to take advantage of too. I finally had to get somewhat firm with her Wednesday evening and tell her I was going to have to call the police if she were still there Thursday. Fortunately, she appears to be gone. Whew.

The auction was time consuming during work hours, but the cat lady was a strain on my mind outside of work as well. I hate dealing with stuff like that because I'm just not very good at it. So, I left work today whistling some Christmas tunes. I'm glad that's over. For now.