Monday, January 04, 2016

The pharmacuetical farce


When Jane quit her job it meant that we also lost our insurance. For the time being we could still be eligible to use the COBRA thing (however that works) in case something catastrophic happened, but otherwise we are on our own until she finds another job or we bite the bullet and get insurance on our own.

We have had a prescription card for a long time, and it's amazing how nice that is. I had to fill a couple prescriptions the other day - because I wasn't smart enough to think to do it before she quit - and I about fell over dead from sticker shock.

My blood pressure medicine is quite reasonable. I can get Lisinopril for like $4/mo at Walmart. However, we both have used Nasonex nasal spray for years. We used to get it through mail order for $45 for a 3-month supply (which actually lasted more like 6 months), but lately it had went to $25/mo. Well, I went to fill it the other day and the pharmacist told me that without insurance is was TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!! For one measly little teeny tiny bottle!!!!

Needless to say, I did not purchase it. We can figure something else out. In fact, the girl working at the pharmacy said she didn't even bother filling it because she knew what my reaction was going to be.

So... who is screwing who? I mean, are the pharmaceutical companies screwing the insurance companies by charging outrageous prices on prescription drugs? Or are the insurance companies screwing - whoever - by charging outrageous prices for whatever it is they provide? Geez, I don't know. But when you see and hear how wealthy some of these people are... well... it just makes you wonder if a little more oversight isn't needed.

I don't know that big government is necessarily the answer; but corporate greed isn't very good for anyone either (other than the 1%ers). However you want to slice it, it seems like a freaking farce of some kind to me.

So if you see me sneezing and wheezing and hacking away... it's because I can't afford my medicine. And I don't even know who to blame it on.