Thursday, April 28, 2016

Discovery bookmarks


I have mentioned the Discovery Bible Study process on here before. We meet with another couple on a weekly basis, and the other day I worked up the gumption to make some bookmarks for us. One side has the questions/process, and the back has some Scripture verses to study. It's not necessary to use any particular passages (you can literally use any in the Bible), but I have a couple different ones with different texts/topics.

There also isn't any magic formula when it comes to specific questions, and I've kind of tailored mine to ones I've seen others use plus a few I like myself. One thing I'm thinking about, though, is maybe changing a couple of the "Response" questions to something more along the lines of:
  • "How can we spur one another (or you) on towards love and good deeds this week?"
  • "Who can you serve in the love of Jesus this week?"

Aside from that, this is what I currently have on the front side for questions:
CONNECT:
  • What are you thankful for this week?
  • What is one good thing that happened to someone you know this week?
  • Where have you seen/felt [sensed?] God at work this week? 
DISCOVER:
  • Read the Scripture for today.
  • What is happening, or what does this passage say?
  • What does this teach us about God; people; our relationship with God?
  • What other questions do you have about this passage?
 RESPONSE:
  • If this is God speaking, how will you respond?
  • Who outside our group would benefit from hearing what you have learned?
  • How can you show kindness to someone else this week?
  • What do you need prayer for?


So... that's about it. As I've said before, I like this process. It's simple, reproducible, adaptable to any situation, and anyone can do it. I wish I could get motivated to start a group or two...