Thursday, June 02, 2016

The newsroom


We recently watched all three seasons of the 2012-2014 HBO TV show 'The Newsroom.' I have to say, I thought it was one of the finer shows I've ever watched.

It is about a fictional TV news station that decides they want to report REAL news again, instead of the ratings-inspired sensationalist drivel so common today. Using Don Quixote as their inspiration they tackle real issues, with morality, ethics, and honesty. While it was not a real station, they do actually use real news events. To be fair, they do lean a little left. Or at least they're not afraid to take on the Republican party line (and the Tea Party in particular).

Anyway, we thought it was pretty good. Jeff Daniels shows he's not so dumb (or dumber), and Jane Fonda and Sam Waterston are admirable. Plus, with Emily Mortimer and Olivia Munn, how bad could it be?

I'm surprised we had never heard of it (probably because we don't have cable). I also had no idea the youtube video of Jeff Daniel's tirade about how America isn't the greatest country in the world came from this.

So, if you're looking for a show to watch, I'd recommend it. I think it was on Amazon Prime. Now we need to find something else to watch. Although it did make me want to read Don Quixote again. Maybe I'll do that.