Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Wasp nest removal


When we returned home from vacation this past Saturday our next door neighbor came over as soon as we pulled in the driveway. He says, "Are you aware of the problem you have?" Gulp. Not exactly what I wanted to hear before I'd even been in the house yet...

Well it turns out this giant wasp nest had been built on the front peak of our house while we were gone. It was at least a foot wide and deep, and maybe 18 inches long. The odd thing is, the neighbor said 2 years ago one just like it appeared on the house on the corner, then last year it was on his house, and now this year it's on ours. That seems so weird to me.

Anyway, I have no idea if it's a wasp nest, or hornets nest, or yellow jacket... and it didn't much matter to me. I just wanted it gone. So I did some online investigation for how to go about removal. The neighbor had already suggested waiting until evening/night - when the wasps are slow and settled.

My first act was to go buy 2 can of wasp spray. Saturday night - after we got home from being "out" - I used one entire can of spray to completely cover the nest. Fortunately it shot 27 feet (according to the can) so I could stand on the ground and not have to get near the nest. As I sprayed there were a few weary wasps who tumbled out the hole and fell to the ground. Then I just left it.

The next morning I found a dozen or so dead and/or dying wasps laying about. So I waited until evening for round two. There were a few wasps flying in and out during the day, but as the sun was setting there wasn't much activity. So I set my ladder up, grabbed the second can of wasp spray, and once again completely soaked the nest. There didn't appear to be any activity, so I took a long prong thing I have and started tearing into the nest. I'd hoped I could keep it somewhat intact but it didn't happen. It was like paper. When the main big part fell to the ground I tied it in a garbage bag and put it in the trash, just in case there might be anybody left at home. Then I used the garden hose to spray the rest of the nest off the house. And... that was about it.

I've seen a couple wasps return since then to the same area, but so far no more nest activity. All in all, removing the nest wasn't near as bad as I'd feared it might be. At least I hope that's the end of it.