Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A & B start school; eclipse; parking lot

Yesterday packed a lot of activity (well, not so much for me, but for others). It was grandson Bennett's first day of Pre-K at his new school (St. Paul's); there was a total solar eclipse (though not in FW), and Jane and I worked the parking lot at church for the Tincaps game.

GRANDKIDS
Anna's 1st day of 1st grade.
Anna and Bennett are now going to the same school this year. Anna is in first grade and Bennett is in pre-k. Anna actually started last Tuesday (I think). She went to kindergarten at St. Paul's last year and grew so much. She currently has a substitute teacher as her regular teacher is on maternity leave. Hopefully she will like the regular as well as she likes the sub.

Bennett's 1st day of Pre-K.
Bennett went to preschool at Avalon last year as a 3-year old (as Anna did when she was that age). This was the first year he could go to St. Paul's. I think he just goes half a day and am not sure if it's everyday or not (I think it is). He is a pretty contemplative little boy and I'm hoping the exprience helps him as much as it did Anna. Apparently he thought he would be okay after his first day.





Library plaze viewing.
ECLIPSE
Yesterday was also the big "Solar Eclipse." Fort Wayne did not have a 'total' eclipse, but it was supposedly around 85%. I heard there was going to be a viewing party at the downtown library, so I decided to go. There was a pretty big crowd - with food trucks, several news reporters, the mayor, and they had a couple giant telescope things. I guess they had 400 viewing glasses and the line went around the block. They didn't last long. I did not get any. A couple people let me borrow theirs and I have to say that it was pretty cool.

We did not get real dark, but it did "darken" some. The temperature also dropped 4 degrees I am told. It felt like it. It was a sweltering day at almost 90, and with the breeze it felt much nicer when the sun was covered up.

Around 2:30 Jane and some of her co-workers came outside their building so I walked over and spent some time in that parking lot. It was only a block away. There was also a big telescope set up there. I do have to say, it was kind of neat seeing all the people out and about during the middle of the day. I saw one person comment that the best thing about the eclipse was that it was almost like a vacation from the president. Ha! He still managed to get himself in the news by looking at the sun without viewing glasses. Anyway, it was fun.

PARKING LOT
Last night Jane and I once again worked the parking lot at our church for a Tincaps game (minor league baseball). Our church does not own the lot (so we are not who decided people should have to pay). The people that own the lot let us have a large percentage of the money for our youth group though, as long as we provide the volunteers. We also get free tickets for the game when we volunteer. We have done it for several games this summer.

It was still hot last night, but I actually enjoy doing things like this. I like brief interactions with people. Once I've taken their money and exchanged pleasantries, it's nice to see them go. Last night we actually filled the parking lot before the game even started! And it was a Monday! Once the lot is full we put away the signs and cones and things and we are free to go to the game.

We did go over to the game for awhile. We had supper there. Tacos are only $2 and 2 of them fill me up, so it's really not a bad meal. We chatted with some people we knew for awhile, sat in our seats behind home plate for a bit, and finally left around the 4th or 5th inning. That's about enough baseball for us. Plus Jane came straight from work and we'd been at the parking lot since a little before 5:30.

-----

So, that's about it for yesterday. This week I have started getting up around 7 am and trying to get back in some sort of a groove. I've been trying to catalog all my old sermons in hopes that someday I can piece together something I can use again - either for preaching or writing. I also have a list of things I need to get done or want to do in order to figure out my next steps. So far it's not going too bad.

I have a lunch meeting today with a pastor friend. Tonight we babysit the grandkids for a bit. Tomorrow night we take food to the library plaza. Saturday we've been asked to spend the day with some friends from church at their cabin. I've also been working myself back into running shape. So I have been keeping myself occupied. Perhaps the things I've lacked in the most so far are writing and meditating. Not that I haven't been doing either, but not as much as I'd hoped. In general, I am feeling pretty good though. I noted the other day that I can't even remember working at the storage place. It's like it never even happened. I take that as a good sign.

Peace out; and in.