Friday, August 11, 2017

My last day at fws

So, today is my last day working in the storage business. I intended to write something yesterday but didn't have time. I guess I will do it now. I mostly just wanted to jot down how I was feeling about this at the moment.

I am ready to be done and am trying not to think too far ahead. The future will be here soon enough. I feel very good about my decision to leave right now - especially after learning of some comments yesterday made by my supposed boss.

So, how did I approach my last week/day? Actually, I worked my butt off cleaning and organizing the office and facility as much as I could. I want to leave it in better shape than I found it, and I think I will. I continued to replace latches as needed - saving the company $45 per latch they were paying someone else to do it. I cleaned the office as well as I could: mopping the floors, cleaning the bathroom one last time, the desks, counters, storage rooms, and... well, the only thing I didn't get to were the windows. I also continued to scour the property for garbage and debri. Today I will show my supervisor (who trains new employees) as many of the unique things about my facility as I can think of that she doesn't already know. Yesterday I showed her all my computer and email folders for different things she might need. Basically, I want to leave with a clear conscience.

And this is what ticked me off yesterday (and affirms to me that I'm making the right decision): I heard a rumor that all the GM had to say about me leaving was he wondered how much "work" I would actually do when I gave my 3 weeks notice. For real?!? For one thing, I gave 3 weeks notice out of respect for the company. I could have given 2, or none, but I felt that since I had 3 weeks vacation, I would give notice for each week of that. Plus I thought it would give them plenty of time to figure out what to do. I wasn't expecting to be insulted for it. He has never understood that there are people different from him - who aren't motivated solely by money.

There is so much more I want to say, but it wouldn't be worth it. I just need to move on. This is an example of what is wrong with the place, and it's probably no different at most other companies. I could bad-mouth the GM, but honestly, I enjoyed the job there. For the most part I liked what I did and the people I worked with and for, I learned a lot not only about the storage industry, but the north side of town and people in general as well. It was a worthwhile endeavor and I do not regret it. I was always proud to say that I worked with my son-in-law and that is perhaps what I will miss the most.

I guess I believe I have more to offer than I was ever going to be able to do there, and the stifling inability to do so was making me a very unpleasant person to be around. It was time to do something else. What that something will be is anyone's guess at this point. In the end, though, while I admit there are still some doubts in the back of my mind and a little nervousness about the future, I feel good. I'm ready to face my last day, and get this over with.