Sunday, September 10, 2017

Grandparent's day 2017

I was once again fortunate to be able to attend "Grandparent's Day" where the grandchildren go to school. Last year I visited Anna in Kindergarten, but this year I got to visit both Anna's first grade class AND Bennett's preschool class!

I started out with Bennett. He has a nice-sized preschool class of nine students. He goes every day until 11:30. His teacher and teacher's aide were both really nice. We went through the normal morning routine of announcements and devotions over the intercom. Then they said the pledge of allegiance to the American flag as well as the Christian flag. After that there were introductions, pictures, and we interacted with our students doing various things about the room. Bennett was very outgoing, but in a mild-mannered way. He was much calmer than the other two boys in the class. :)


Jane started out with Anna in first grade and about halfway through we switched. When I got to Anna's room I had a small chair by her desk. I think her desk sits next to Joe. I remembered most of the kids in her class from last year. Anna was also very quiet, but she did raise her hand and answer a question in front of everyone. We had a time where they could do whatever activity they wanted. Anna chose to play a game on an ipad (apparently there are enough for all the students in her class - not sure how many that is). Then they had recess in the gym because it was raining outside. The second graders were also in the gym and it was a little hectic at first. When we got there Anna just sat by me along the edge. Another boy in her class did so as well. Pretty soon she ventured onto the gym floor and joined the fun though. She played with a hula hoop and then walked on the stilts (pictured). After that we went back to her room and they dimmed the lights and had a reading time. Anna grabbed a beanbag chair and we sat on the floor as she read. Then it was time to go.


Before I left I stopped by the gym and Bennett's class was in there playing "Duck, Duck, Goose." Jane had already left and Bennett seemed happy to see me. When they were done I left too.


All in all it was a nice morning. I'm glad they found this school because it is much nicer than if the kids had to attend a city school. They're fairly quiet and while I don't think they're necessarily sheltered, they aren't used to seeing what a lot of city kids see. It seems to be a great place, and their parents like it a lot. That's good enough for me.