Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Prepare instead of plan


I got a call for a job interview yesterday. It's not until Monday, but it's something I'm pretty excited about. As I was driving to a meeting this morning I was thinking about how I might address some potential interview questions. I have no idea if it will come up (I'm not too 'up' on interviewing anymore), but one question I remember from back in the day was, "Where do you see yourself in five/ten years?" 

For me, this requires a two-part answer. First, I don't view this in terms of job title, position, or pay scale. I prefer to PREPARE myself for the future, rather than have a plan in mind. In the spirit of James chapter 4, trying to determine where or what I will be in the future can be a foolish preoccupation - especially at my age. However, preparing yourself for the future will never be out of style. So how do I prepare? 

1. LISTEN
As a follower of Christ, listening is the place I always want to start. What is God trying to say to me? Where is he leading me? How can I serve him in this time and place?

For different people, and at different times in your life, this can look completely different. I believe the decision to leave my last job fits here. As I've thought about it, it wasn't a bad job. Was I a younger man, or at a different point in my life, it would have been great. It WAS a good job for me at the time I took it. I think I reached a point where God was leading me elsewhere. That does not mean it's a bad place to work, but it wasn't a good place for me any longer.

2. LEARN
The second way to prepare for the future is to always be learning. There really is truth to the saying, "You learn something new every day." As long as we're paying attention! Once we stop learning, you might say we begin preparing to die instead.

I have been fortunate to be in a position to continue learning. My wife and I both earned degrees later in life. It keeps our minds fresh and feeds our souls. Of course, learning doesn't have to take place in a classroom. It can be done by reading, asking questions, and a general openness to new ideas and technology. We can learn much simply engaging other folks in conversation!

3. LABOR OF LOVE
Listening and learning lead to the third way to prepare for the future. It would be nice if we only had to do those things we love doing. However, again, as a follower of Christ, I'm not sure that's necessarily being faithful. Doing labors of love means doing that which we believe God has put in our heart to do.

A labor of love might be the hard work of raising a family. It might mean volunteering in an environment outside our comfort zone (but within our calling). Essentially it is living out of who he has made us to be, and leaning into the life situation we currently find ourselves. Work is good for us; working out of who we are is even better. Rather than sucking our soul dry, it FEEDS the soul and prepares us to face whatever God may have in store for us.

So, whether this ends up being an interview question or not, I'm glad my mind went here today. This is how I want to always be preparing myself for the future: listening, learning, and laboring in love.

Peace out, friends; and in.

No comments: