Thursday, October 05, 2017

Patriotism


I do not understand patriotism. The concept and idea simply do not resonate in my mind. I don't get it! Merriam-Webster's definition of patriotism is pretty straightforward: "love for or devotion to one's country." I don't understand how one 'loves' a country.

The closest I can come to understanding it is something like school pride. You know, "I'm going to root for my school, and therefore be rooting against every other school." Perhaps I've just never been competitive enough, but I never understood that either. Sure, you play against opposing teams, but I can't say that I have ever wished for superiority over others.

To me, we are all human beings. I don't see how where we live changes anything. I mean, if I were born in Denmark, would I think Danes were the best? It's just where I live. So what is with this sudden resurgence in American patriotism? I have my theories, and I'm certainly not going to share them on Facebook, but it's whacked out as far as I'm concerned.

I am especially perplexed when it comes to "Christians," and I consider bible passages such as:
  • "For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come." (Hebrews 13:14)
  • "Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they'll be won over to God's side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives." (1 Peter 2:11-12)
  • "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:2)

I don't know, I suppose I'm just reading too much into things, or making too much of it. To be clear, I am not AGAINST America, I just don't see what makes it so special. Especially as one who has placed my hope and trust in God (as a Christian).

If you ask me, what we're seeing in America right now is a heightening of CIVIL RELIGION rather than Christian religion. This would be defined as:
"American civil religion is a sociological theory that a nonsectarian quasi-religious faith exists within the United States with sacred symbols drawn from national history. Scholars have portrayed it as a cohesive force, a common set of values that foster social and cultural integration."
Beyond the religious aspect - in scope and degree - I think we also have to start considering some of these:
I believe these are more appropriate examples of what we're seeing than a mere patriotism, yet I still don't understand how we can love a country over and above "people." Are we not all human? Apparently a lot of people don't think so. I find this sad. In fact, it's almost breaking my heart. I can't stand to look at my news feed on Facebook or watch television news anymore. It's becoming more and more blatant, and accepted. I honestly do not know what to do.

No comments: