Thursday, November 30, 2017

I don't know how to say this...


I have not been posting as much on the blog lately. Actually, I've not been on the computer or social media near as much lately. It's been weird, but not bad. I hear Neil Young in the background singing, "My life is changing in so many ways..."

While things aren't changing drastically, there does seem to be a subtle shift taking place, and it was only somewhat intentional. Part of the reason I took the early morning job at the Y was an attempt to force a routine-change upon myself. I am a creature of habit, so even though I can be quite disciplined, it is also difficult for me to change those habits. Having a different morning routine - moving away from easing into each day sitting in front of the computer (and information, news, social media input) - has resulted in both physical and mental/emotional change for me. I get my blood flowing and metabolism moving earlier in the day, and the things I occupy my mind with are likewise different. I think it has been for the better.

I've been somewhat haunted by this statistic I heard from Science Mike a couple months ago:
"Heavy social media use increases depression risks 27%. Heavy smartphone and tablet users are 35% more likely to have suicidal ideation."

I believe there is much truth there. I've FELT it. I also just happened across this post: "8 Dangers of Social Media We're Not Willing to Admit." Of course, I saw it on Facebook (ugh). While I have definitely cut down my social media use, I haven't cut it out entirely. I still like to see pictures and life events, and I suppose to some extent I do still need to read the news and current events - though in much smaller doses and from "better" sources.


MORE INFORMATION DOES NOT EQUAL MORE INFORMED

I can't recall the conversation I was having with someone about this age of "information overload," but it came as quite the realization to me. Everyone seems to think people are more informed nowadays, what with 24-hour news, social media, and whatnot. However, what we are missing is perhaps just how CONTROLLED that information now is. The news is much more biased, and computer algorithms are swayed such that, the information each of us receives is only that which someone else has decided we should receive. For instance, when I do a google search, the results I see are based on algorithms set by MY internet usage. What you see is based on yours. So not everyone has the same search results show up, just like not everyone sees the same advertisements, or the same posts, or the same "news." You could say we are actually being manipulated by our own habits. That's a scary thought, and it's being played out right in front of us all on a daily basis!

SO...
So what does all this have to do with this blog post? Well, for one thing, it helps explain why I haven't been posting as much. Another aspect is that I've been - whether intentionally or not - doing more "living in the moment" type stuff.

No longer do I start my day reading every detail from the MSN Home page to see what they say is happening in the world. Now I start my day getting up and going to the Y (working and working out). And, since I've started driving for Uber, it's easier for me to say, "I'm going to go drive," rather than sit at home on the computer (reading or writing).

Like I said, it feels weird to me. I have been a daily writer/journaler for a long time. It's something I have enjoyed. I also realize I need to do it to some extent... but not as much as I was.

I guess this is my way of saying, "I've been busy lately." I like being busy, but it also wears me out. I felt the need this morning to sit down and try to figure out how to put what was on my mind into words so I could see it. It seemed to take a lot more words than I anticipated. Now I need to do a treadmill workout, and then I think I'll try to make some money driving.

That's all I've got to say for now. Or, maybe more importantly, all the time I'm going to allow myself to say it. :)

Peace out, folks; and in.

No comments: