Saturday, December 09, 2017

Wellness for life coaching training


Today I attended training to be a 'Wellness For Life' coach with the Y. It was from 9:30-12:30 at the Jorgensen branch and Kirk(?) was the instructor.

Unfortunately I was late - which I do not like to be. I swear, when I registered for the program on the website, it said "This class will be held at the Central branch." I should have known to double-check before today, because it was not there. I looked like an idiot when I showed up at Central and asked about it. So I headed across town to Jorgensen and was 20 minutes late. I basically only missed the introductions of the other 6 people in the class though.

Wellness For Life is a complimentary program at the Y designed to provide support in your pursuit of healthier living. A wellness coach meets with you one-on-one to help guide you in setting goals, provide support, resources and help you determine your personalized wellness program.

A big thing the Y tries to stress is that it's not just an exercise facility. Wellness For Life is not just about exercise either. One tool we can use is called the "wellness wheel," which touches on the areas of: health, achievement, belonging, relationships, meaning, safety, character, giving, and inspiration. The instructor also suggested we could break 'health' into 'exercise' and 'nutrition' as separate dimensions.

It was a worthwhile class. I'm not sure how much I will use it at the branch I currently work, but my goal is to take advantage of as much learning as possible and see where it may someday lead me.

--------------

Speaking of work. Yesterday I worked 10 hours, and I was the only staff person there for all but 3 hours. I opened at 5 am and was originally supposed to work until 9 am. That person had a conflict and had already worked it out with the person who was suppose to work from noon-4pm to come in early. So I thought I would get off around 10 or 11. The noon-4 person then called and said they were sick. My boss only came in early in the morning to work out because he then had a meeting and was taking the afternoon off. So I texted the guy scheduled to work 4-8 and he said he could come in at 3. So I worked 5 am to 3 pm. At least it was a slow day, so I finished a book; and Jane's office is just a couple blocks away, so she got me something for lunch. I really didn't mind it, but it would have been kind of nice to have known beforehand. Oh well.

No comments: