Monday, January 29, 2018

First time driving at night


Since starting to drive for Uber I had so far managed to only do it during the day. I usually drive 2-4 days per week and just 3 or 4 hours at a time. Normally I stop around 5 pm - just because I can (I don't need to make more at the moment). This past Friday was the first time I drove later than that.

I worked my usual 5 am - 9 am shift at the Y, but I also covered the person closing (4-8 pm). While walking to my car after closing it seemed there were a lot of people out and about downtown so I decided I would just turn the Uber app on and see how long it took to get a ride request.

It didn't take long at all, and before I'd dropped off my first rider, I had a second request pop up. I had to stop at the grocery store for Jane, so after dropping off the milk at home I decided to keep driving. I ended up working until after 1 am. I made just over $80, which put me at around $150 for the week. That's the most I have made per day or week yet.

I picked up several couples - some who had simply been out for supper and some who had been full-on partying. One guy just needed a ride to the liquor store and back home because he ran out of whiskey. A lady needed me to take her through the ATM and the drive-thru at Wendy's for supper. One guy was pretty wasted but was fairly coherent, at least for the first part of the trip. I did have an airport trip too, as well as a couple others.

All in all, it went okay, and everyone was super nice. I made about $15-$20 in tips. One thing I especially thought interesting though... was my struggle to STOP driving. It was almost like gambling - I wanted to make just a little more! But, since I got up at 4 that morning, I thought I should probably get home around 1:30 am.

I don't know that I will ever get rich driving Uber, or if I could do it as a sole source of income, but it's been okay for a little extra money for now. I'm not sure what weeknights would be like, but I wouldn't mind an occasional Friday or Saturday night now and then. We'll see.

No comments: