Friday, March 30, 2018

New running shoes (hoka)


I bought a new pair of running shoes today. I got the Hoka One One Bondi 5. I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill in them and... the verdict is still out.

This was my first pair of shoes bought from Fleet Feet. Normally I get them at Three Rivers Running Company, but FF had a 30% off special on men's shoes, plus they just had a display set up at the Y I work at. I didn't really 'need' to get new running shoes, but for that deep of a discount I felt it worth it. Of course I didn't realize my old pair were almost two years old until looking it up on my blog, so I suppose it was about time.

I had no complaints at Three Rivers, but I did like the Fleet Feet purchasing experience. It's a small, family-owned store, and they utilize Fit ID (3-d foot scanning). They take an image of your feet for accurate size, width, arch, etc. Interestingly enough, my feet are not the same size. My right foot is a half size larger than my left! Apparently this is normal.

I didn't really intend to get the Hoka's, even though I wanted to try some on. Jane just bought a pair of Hoka Cliftons. I also tried on some Nike and Brooks (salespersons choice). I would have considered getting another pair of Adidas like I have, but they now run $180. I refuse to go that high even though I really like them. The Hoka's were $150, and minus the 30% plus tax they were $112. That's a pretty good price in my opinion.

The Hoka Bondi is a completely different shoe from what I'm used to. It's like standing on a super soft rubber mat - perhaps the most cushioned shoe available - and the toe doesn't really bend. It has a sort of arch shape to the bottom. It is super soft to walk in, but when I ran on the treadmill it felt really loose. My foot was floating all over the place. I don't know if I just needed to tighten the laces, if I need to wear heavier socks, or if it's simply too wide for me. I'll have to wear it some more and see. If nothing else, it would make a great work shoe for standing.

So, that's what I did on this Good Friday - and right around noon, to boot!

No comments: