Monday, April 23, 2018

First mowing of the year... and she's still here


I mowed the lawn today for the first time this year. It seems later than usual, but it's also been colder than usual, so.... there's that. As with most years, it didn't really 'need' mowed, but more just evened out. Not much actual grass was cut, but it looks nicer.

And... my old mower is still kicking it. I've written before (many times, actually) about this old mower. I scrounged a used deck out of the dumpster a couple years ago when I was working at the storage place, but this Briggs & Stratton engine is from the first lawn mower I ever bought. I can't say for sure when that was, but we got married in 1983, and my parents gave me one of their old mowers to start with. We rented a couple houses, but then bought our first house... maybe around 1985(?). It had a bigger yard, so we bought this mower at Kmart or some such store. I'm pretty sure it was a Murray. So that makes it about 33-ish years old.

I know she's not much to look at, and I've thought it was going to be done for every year for the last... I don't know how many years. Yet it has almost always started on the very first pull - even after sitting all winter. Someone somewhere must have messed up and put this mower together right.

I was actually just saying to Jane the other day that I wasn't sure if it was going to make it this year. I have been trying to brace myself for the thought of having to buy a new one. But... I pulled it out today, added a little oil, gas, and pulled the cord. She started on the second pull!

I went ahead and mowed the lawn, but I suppose now I will change the oil, sharpen the blade, and check to see if it needs a new sparkplug.

-----

I suppose there is some kind of life lesson to be learned here. I mean, this mower is not pretty, she's seen her better days, there are some parts missing and I'm sure if there were a "code" for lawnmowers she would be violating a few... But she's still here. It's like every year she just keeps answering the call; she just keeps saying "yes."

I've always thought that a lot of ministry... or kindness... or humanity - whatever you want to call it - is really nothing more than... presence. Just being there. Just saying "yes" when someone needs you to.

Even with regard to marriage.... Jane and I will celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary next month (Lord willing). We have had both good times and bad - likely as good and bad as most couples - but we just keep hanging around (each other). We both know each of us is far from perfect, but there's a whole lotta joy in knowing that the other person is going to be there. I'm not always sure why she has continued to put up with me, but it makes life so much better knowing we can depend on one another, rather than having to worry about competing with one another.

I suppose in the grander scheme it's about grace (and mercy). Just now I wondered if some people turned "off" by the church hadn't merely felt like no one was "there" for them. How many times do people do things and they think surely they've been "disqualified" from the church - whether someone else has made them feel that way, or they themselves have? How different is it if we never have to think that? Hmmm... I dunno.

----

Well, anyway, I like that I still have this old mower. I like that there are certain nuances to starting and stopping it that only I know. It is MY mower. And I'm going to keep her around as long as possible. I also like knowing that Jane and I have our own little 'nuances'... and we don't have to worry about one or the other being offended. I'd like to think it's that way with God/Jesus/Holy Spirit too. Mere Presence is a powerful thing.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I've been drinking a new kind of tea that has little sayings on the paper at the end of the string. I have two on my desk. "Kindness is the gift of life." "People who love are forgiving." Kindness. Love. Forgiveness. I think that is part of the secret to our 35 years which goes right along with grace and mercy. Thanks for the love, kindness, forgiveness and for hanging around with me. :)