Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Registered for my first full marathon


Well, I finally registered to run a marathon. Today was the last day for discounted pricing for the fall Fort4Fitness events, so I decided to just take the plunge and at least register for the marathon. This way even if I chicken out, or for some reason can't run it, I can always opt for a shorter event and still will have paid the cheaper price.

It has always been a goal of mine to run a full 26.2 marathon, but I'd pretty much given up on the idea. A girl I work with has been trying to talk me into it lately though - actually she's trying to organize a group of first-time marathoners. So... I caved.

I've also been feeling pretty good lately. We are preparing for the Indy Mini (1/2 marathon) in two weeks, and my legs are feeling pretty good. I think it helps that I've been running fewer days this year. Shoot, in previous years I was just starting to run, period. So the fact that I'm ready for a half right now... I think I should be able to do the full in the fall (God willing and as long as I stay away from injuries).

I registered at a 10-minute-per-mile pace. If I can do that I should finish in around 4 1/2 hours. The minimum finish time is under 6 hours. I've actually been running around 9-minute miles by myself lately -- on runs between 4-6 miles. I may also toy with the idea of intervals: run 6, walk 1; run 6, walk 1; run 6, walk 1; run 5. Or 10/1; 6/1; 4/1; and 3. We will see.

For some odd reason I am kind of excited about registering. It probably won't work out. But at least I made it this far...

No comments: