Monday, May 21, 2018

Our first trail run

This was before brain-freeze set in. #wineslushy

We participated in our first ever trail run this past Saturday. It was the Vineyard Trail 5k at Two-EE's Winery in rural Huntington, IN. It was a blast!

We didn't really know what to expect, but we did at least know enough to wear old shoes. I'm glad because it was fairly muddy on the course. Fortunately, neither of us fell down, though there were a few treacherous spots due to mud as well as a couple hills that were downright difficult to get up. Jane had to have someone help her up one hill because she just kept sliding. You could tell some people just flat out wiped out.


Wet and muddy shoes and legs.

We did not set any personal bests for time - I think we finished in around 36 minutes - but we weren't trying to go fast. Plus the trail was not overly conducive for passing. So we strolled along and enjoyed running through the woods around the winery. Still, Jane ended up getting 2nd in her age group! I think I got 4th in mine - which was a surprise to both of us because we weren't even trying. I believe I heard they capped registration at 500 people.

Fleet Feet Fort Wayne does a good job of organizing this. The shirts were pretty cool, we got a commemorative wine glass and free wine slushy, and Sunny Taylor was singing afterward. Jane also got a plaque (for 2nd place).

Jane receiving her major award.

So, it was a nice way to start a Saturday morning. It was a tad humid, but it was cloudy with no rain. After we were done we drank our free slushy and hung around on the patio listening to Sunny entertain us. We were going to have one more glass of wine but when I went to buy it they said it would only be a dollar more to buy the bottle so.... even though they could have re-corked it for us, we just hung around and drank the whole thang..... at 9 am. I know...

Our bottle of Plonqe - on the Two-EE's patio.

Anyway, I would like to do more trail runs (minus the bottle of wine after). I enjoyed the change of pace from running on streets and hard surfaces, and it was a nice challenge running through the woods. I think it also went faster because you had to really focus on what you were doing. There were no boring moments. Sometimes it almost reminded me of when I was a kid and we would ramble around the countryside. I really enjoyed it! 

No comments: