Thursday, July 26, 2018

Ribs


I hate taking to the interwebs for medical advice, but I finally broke down (no pun intended) and looked up rib injuries. A simple google search offered pretty much the same advice on every site I checked.

My ribs are still quite sore and tender after falling on the side of the bath tub 10 days ago. It's not as bad as it was the first couple days where it hurt to move at all, but certain movements can still be quite painful. It's especially bad when I cough, blow my nose, or use any muscles involved.

Apparently there's not a lot you can do for rib injuries - especially when they're not overly severe like mine. I don't feel any sharp/cutting pains or shortness of breath like there are actual broken bones or lung damage. I'm guessing they are just bruised or possibly fractured.

The treatment seems to be the same: try to control the pain until it begins to feel better in 3-6 weeks.

Fortunately it doesn't hurt to run, so it hasn't curtailed my marathon training. Sleeping is probably the hardest thing, and it is suggested trying to sleep in a more upright position. I guess I am not supposed to wrap it though - which is something I've been doing periodically because it feels better. So, I will continue to take over-the-counter pain meds, and wait it out.

Here is a list of some 'do's' and 'don'ts':

Do

  • take painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen – avoid taking ibuprofen for 48 hours after your injury as it may slow down healing
  • hold an ice pack (or bag of frozen peas in a tea towel) to the affected ribs regularly in the first few days to bring down swelling
  • rest and take time off work if you need to
  • breathe normally and cough when you need to – this helps clear mucus from your lungs to prevent chest infections
  • if you need to cough, hold a pillow against your chest
  • walk around and sometimes move your shoulders to help you breathe and clear mucus from your lungs
  • take 10 slow, deep breaths every hour to help clear your lungs
  • try to sleep more upright for the first few nights

Don't

  • wrap a bandage tightly around your chest to stop your lungs expanding properly
  • lie down or stay still for a long time
  • strain yourself or lift heavy objects
  • play any sports or do any exercise that makes your pain worse
  • smoke – stopping smoking may also help your recovery

No comments: