Sunday, July 22, 2018

15 miles and a rib report


THE RUN...
My long run this past week was 15 miles. I did it early Saturday morning. There was a light rain when I started, but it didn't last long. I couldn't really tell if it was rain or sweat after a while anyway.

I mapped out a course to run from our house to the Y downtown where I work, and back. It went okay, but I was NOT in the mood to run when I started out. For one thing, I was tired. I had the parking lot to take care of Friday night, plus work, and we also had the grandkids overnight. I don't know if that's why I was dreading this run so much or not. I wasn't really sure I would complete it until I heard my watch beep at 15 miles. Every mile before that I thought could be my last.

For as out of it as I was mentally, I actually RAN fairly well. I thought I would run at more like an 11-minute-mile pace, but I averaged 9:48-minute miles. So I was at least happy about that. I was also happy that I was able to run the entire way. I just stopped in at work and took an energy gel and some water and chatted with a couple people, then I also stopped at the Foster Park ball fields and took another gel and some water.

I thought I had run 15 miles once before, but it occurred to me later that I think I only ran 14 and then walked a mile. That's what I always used to do - especially when wearing my old watch. So this was likely the farthest I've ever run.

Next week I cut back to just 13 miles, then after that I jump to 17 miles one Saturday and 18 on the next. Ugh. I'm not looking forward to those. They will likely wipe me out the entire day.

I didn't feel too bad after this one. I got home and attempted stretching a little, then I threw my legs up the wall for 15-20 minutes. I tried stretching a little more, drank some water and a protein shake, and then soaked in a tub of Epsom salt, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar. Then I took a shower and put on my compression socks/sleeves. The rest of the day was pretty laid back.

THE RIBS...
It has now been a week since I fell getting out of the bathtub and hurt my ribs. They feel better than they did then, but they are still plenty sore. I still think I just bruised them, but I thought it would feel better by now than it does. The pain is more localized than when it originally happened. At first it just hurt all over, and it hurt to move and breathe. Now there is just some pain mostly on the front upper right side. Fortunately, it doesn't really bother me when I run. It's probably worst in the morning or when I lay in certain positions. So, hopefully, it will continue to get better.


So... that's about it for now. I'm glad to have two days off. My legs are a little sore, but my feet and calves/Achilles area are feeling really good. Apparently, the plantar fasciitis has decided to leave me alone for a while.

No comments: