Thursday, September 20, 2018

Thnk before you speak


This past Sunday we heard a nice sermon from the book of James. Our pastor is preaching through the book and on this particular day was in chapter 3. You can hear the entire sermon here (actually, you can see/hear the entire service): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR9XXrpDd4E

One thing that really stood out to me was this acrostic using the word "think" (minus the 'i').  When trying to THINK before you speak, it is helpful to ask if what you want to say is:
True
Helpful
Necessary
Kind

I think that's good. Certainly the things we say should be truthful, however, that doesn't always mean it is helpful... or necessary... or kind, etc.

Of course, it seems it's often harder to do something when you're trying to do it, as the Apostle Paul so elegantly stated in Romans 7:15-20. Yet I find it helpful to use simple mnemonic devices like this as reminders. God knows I need all the help I can get in learning to think before I speak.

No comments: