Saturday, November 17, 2018

Another coaching class, asking, listening, and wondering


I signed up for another coaching class this week: Asking Powerful Questions. It is an E-class from Coach Approach Ministries. I used to be licensed through this group, and I don't know that this will be anything new for me, but it's one of those things I feel like I can use to improve myself and my interaction with others. Anyway, the class is online and self-paced, so I hope to start working through it this week.

Along those lines, I also happened onto this article yesterday: "What Great Listeners Actually Do." It seems just about everything I do anymore involves being a better listen. Whether work, ministry, or everyday relationships in general, good listening skills are something we could probably all use some help with. And... it fits right into the coaching classes I've been taking.

As the article states, most of us believe good listening boils down to these three things:
  • Not talking when others are speaking
  • Letting others know you’re listening through facial expressions and verbal sounds (“Mmm-hmm”)
  • Being able to repeat what others have said
Certainly that is helpful... but good listening skills really go much deeper. It's the difference between input-based and out-come based theory (imho): what are we really after? According to their studies...
  • Good listening is much more than being silent while the other person talks.
  • Good listening included interactions that build a person’s self-esteem.
  • Good listening was seen as a cooperative conversation.
  • Good listeners tended to make suggestions
The article expands and explains each of these, and I found it quite helpful and probably something I need to re-read from time to time.

So, in case you're wondering why I included "wondering" in the title... I don't know. I guess I'm wondering what all this means in my life. I think I'm beyond seeking a "career" per-se, but I know I always want to be learning. It does seem a little ironic that all my learning seems geared toward the same things. Yet I don't know if it's because this is something I want to do, or if it's something I really need to get better at. So... I'm still just sort of wondering what I want to do when I grow up. Sad, isn't it?

No comments: