Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Crawling...



I/we are part of a fairly dysfunctional church community. It's an inner-city church. There are a number of "challenging" people in the group (me being one of them). I'm thinking there is a fair number of burned out old hippies and current/former addicts, as well as the usual church-y people who have a small view of the world. It is not unlike many other churches, but it's also very unique.


Last Sunday was somewhat of a show-stopper for me (in the sense I will forever have this image burned into my brain). The video begins after the pastor's sermon, right before communion, and one of the mainstays of the church is getting up to play keyboards during communion and the end of the service. You will see (at about 59:05 - I don't know if it will play from then or from the start) that he has some trouble getting up the two steps onto the stage and finally has to ask his wife for assistance. He just recently found out he has/had cancer. Like, a matter of weeks ago. I watched him crawling on stage and nearly burst into tears. To me, this will forever be burned into my brain as what this church is about...

Anyway, this old rock-n-roller with the long ponytail and crispy sort of memory is no more. I guess he must have passed away today (three days after playing in church). Interestingly enough, he was one of my first contacts in this church. I don't know if he even remembers, but years ago, when I was pastoring a church, I had one of his bands come and play one Sunday. He was the contact person. Super nice guy. His wife, who is quiet as a church mouse, used to work for the same bank as my wife.

It's not like I was friends with him or even knew him all that well, but... his passing leaves a mark on my soul. There were so many times when, during prayer, or communion, his skills on the keys would literally transport me to the foot of the cross. His playing could have that kind of effect. It was the sort that you didn't really even notice; it was never flamboyant or strikingly good; it was merely the right notes played at just the right time and space that could move you.

I will miss him. Even though our church has many other keyboardists, we will miss him too. He made a difference. In a quiet way... he made a difference. Dang.

[Btw, yes, that is me helping to serve communion on the right side at the end. Jane and daughter Carrie were in the kitchen getting pies ready for our "Pie In The Sky" event after church. SIL Drew is singing.]

No comments: