Monday, April 22, 2019

And all the earth...


So it's the day after Easter Sunday... and what now? I suppose in some ways it depends on what you made of Easter. For many Easter is a blessed spectacle - and rightly so, perhaps. Likely for just as many it was just another day. I'm sure there was a large enough throng uncomfortable in their trying to please mom and dad and sons and daughters in their Sunday best... and I don't really know how all that works out. I suppose I don't know much about any of it, and that's okay by me.

Easter Sunday for us was "okay." As usual, we went to the Sunday worship service. On Easter Sunday our church has a carry-in breakfast that is completely chaotic (literally no one is in charge), followed by an even more chaotic Easter Egg Hunt, and then the normally chaotic service. Once again we also hosted the Feipel Five for lunch followed by some much-needed outdoor time. The weather was finally warm and sunny!

Today, well, besides being Monday, it is also Earth Day! I'm sure this year it will need to be politicized in some way - because everything must be anymore. Growing up in the seventies I always liked the emphasis on caring for the environment and cleaning up litter. I suppose my contribution today was putting up an 'Earth Day' quote on the work bulletin board. For some reason writing an inspirational quote seems to be one of my weekly responsibilities now.

Anyway, I failed to finish my Lenten devotional book Saturday, so I read about the last Saint in Scott Cairn's book 'Love's Immensity' today. Saint Therese of Lisieux, also known as "Little Flower," died when she was 24. Apparently not much was known about her, but someone summarized her private journals and published as 'The Story of A Soul.' There were several readings from it included in this book, and I found them quite moving.

I don't know if it was Easter Sunday, Earth Day, or because the sun has finally decided to shine... but this entry titled "The Flower" seemed almost perfect for this Monday morning at my desk.

THE FLOWER
The earth is still, snowbound,
   and roundabout, a bitter hoarfrost clings,
Winter and his henchmen
   hold all and everything in a grip of pain.

But look! amid that frozen waste
   a single Flower rises from the earth
new arrived from heaven's fatherland,
   where springtime eternally gives birth.

Sister! Approach the Rose of the Nativity
   and there among the modest grasses bide.
As the humblest of the petals,
   await the King and be His bride!

And... as I re-read this post, it occurred to me that I don't know that I'm aware of the difference between religious and secular anymore. It seems to be completely connected - everything connected - and I don't know if that makes me sacred or secular... or if there even is a difference. Hmmmm...

No comments: