Thursday, February 06, 2020

Another new (ish) blood pressure medicine


I went to the doctor again yesterday for a check-up on the new blood pressure medicine (ziac 5/6.25). Last month I switched from Ziac 10/6.2 to Ziac 5/6.25 in hopes my heart rate would not be so low. Ziac is a Beta Blocker, and it works by lowering the heart rate. Dropping the dosage did not bring my rate up, so the doctor decided to change me back to Lisinopril (an ACE Inhibitor). This is what I had been on before - when my bp skyrocketed - but he raised the dosage from 20 mg to 40 mg.

Apparently Beta Blockers just don't work for me. I had a log of my bp and heart rate readings for the past month, and most of my HR readings were in the low 40's. It should be around 60. My BP varied from 115/70 to 160/90.

So we're just going to see what happens on the 40 mg of Lisinopril. I wouldn't mind trying 20 mg again, with an added diuretic, but I'm no doctor so... we will try this.

Fortunately I still have 30 days worth of Lisinopril 20 mg left over from before, so I can just take two each day until I go back to the doctor in 10 days. Apparently 80 mg is the max.

Of course, my doctor retires at the end of this month, so when I go back on the 14th that will likely be it. It would be nice if things were settled by then. I do have a new doctor lined up, though, and I will be curious to see how he handles things.

Interestingly enough, since I thought today was going to be my last time seeing this doctor, I took a box of candy for he and the staff - for treating me all these years. I really like my doctor, and most of his staff. I will miss going there. Hopefully the new young guy I will be seeing will work out well too.

For the record... my weight yesterday was 163 lbs. BP was 140/86. Heart rate 50.

No comments: