Thursday, August 24, 2023

Mission is the shape of water

I agreed to be on the launch team for Michael Frost's new book Mission Is the Shape of Water (I had the time, and felt quite honored to do so!). What that meant is I was able to read it a month before it was released, then I need to post an Amazon review when it comes out on September 15, 2023. I am posting now because you can currently pre-order it from the above link for only $9.99.

As for the book, I thought it was typical "Frosty" (meaning 'really good'). I have read several of Michael's books, and like the way he writes. He sort of writes how I think.

Honestly, I have never been good with history. In that regard, MITSOW was a great overview of the history of missions from the beginning of time up until now. It is full of interesting stories, facts, and figures. However, the best thing about this book is how, after reading the way God has worked through people over the centuries, it actually left me feeling super excited about where the church is headed!

I will likely be posting some more from my 10+ pages of notes, but here's one little snippet to give you an idea what the book is about:

"Ask a bunch of people what Christian mission looks like. They might say it looks like evangelistic preaching or church planting or hosting a feeding center. They might mention running a crisis accommodation facility or providing emergency relief after a hurricane or furnishing medical care in a poor country or advocating against sex trafficking or teaching in a Christian school. But would they mention desecrating religious idols or establishing a city in Africa for freed slaves or starting an ashram or making beer or photographing mass murder or adopting children ordered as human sacrifices or hauling a printing press through the jungle? Would they imagine that being a missionary could look like becoming an explorer or a governor or a prisoner or a student activist? All those shapes of mission are described in this book. Each shape was used by God to achieve his purposes in that time and place. Each of them is told here, not so you can emulate them, but so you can broaden your imagination on what shape God is calling you to take hold of."

 

No comments: