Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Shingles vaccine dose one

Boy, I've been on a real health kick lately. Yesterday I got my first dose (of two) of Shingrix, the vaccine for shingles!

I can't get the second one until two to six months later. Then I will supposedly be 92% protected against getting shingles. I guess the one-shot vaccine was like 63%.

I've wanted to get this for awhile. My doctor said after age 50 you should consider it (of course our insurance won't cover it until age 60). Mostly, though, my mom had a terrible experience with shingles and still has trouble walking because of it even though it was years ago.

Anyway, I wasn't exactly planning to do it yesterday. I was making out a list of all the things I need to do, and I thought I'd just check to see the closest place I could get it. The Kroger by our house of course doesn't have any availability, but the Meijer pharmacy on Illinois Road where I get my prescriptions did. I started clicking buttons and next thing I know I got a text to confirm my appointment at 3:15 that day! So I figured - what the heck?!

My doctor had said you can get flu-like symptoms like with the Covid vaccine, but the pharmacist said he thought that mostly happened (if it did at all) after the second dose. 

It didn't hurt at all, and only took maybe two minutes in the room with the pharmacist. Around when I went to bed I noticed my arm was sore at the injection site, but I never got sick at all. 

I'm not sure how much our insurance will cover, but the receipt says the retail price without insurance is $235.85. I knew these shots were expensive. Someone said there are coupons you can get online. Whatever.

Both my doctor and the pharmacist said you should wait at least a week before getting the Covid/Flu shot (after the shingles vaccine). I'm still debating the flu shot. I've never gotten one before, but, what with me suddenly being all old and unhealthy, maybe I should. I don't know if I'll get the tetanus at that time too or if I'll wait until the next week. May as well spread this fun out as long as I can.

No comments: