Thursday, October 19, 2023

Running in the rain

I went for a run in the rain this morning. It was nice.

I felt like I needed a "win" of some sort. I needed to know I still COULD do something if I wanted to (aside from sitting on the couch with the cat). Seems I rarely run without Jane anymore and I needed to prove I could function on my own.

I'm not sure how great a victory it was, since temps were a decent 50-something and it was mostly just a light drizzle (at least at the start). Still, I'll take it. It felt good.

There were a couple others out. I figure, aside from the few strays who get caught by surprise, most people running in the rain fall into one of two categories (or both): those running FOR something, and those running FROM something. You're either in training for an event, or you've got demons or addictions you're trying to get away from. I felt in the company of the 'from' crowd this morning. We're probably more serious, not as social/jovial, and occasionally there's just a knowing glimpse and... nothing else really needs said.

I think running in the rain is better when you don't have to be doing it (ie. not training for something). Like, "Yep, it's raining (literally/metaphorically), but at least for today I'm still doing this."

No comments: