Thursday, February 29, 2024

The worst weather for running (or some such contradiction)

I used to think running in the cold would be unbearable. However, there are plenty of studies that show it's actually good for us to be out in cold weather (supposedly -18F is the point where it's *too* cold). Somewhat the same is running in the rain. I find both to often be rather exhilarating, actually. And, personally, I don't even mind the heat if I'm used to it and can stay hydrated.

Wind, though... that's the worst. It throws off your form, the body tightens up leaving you sore afterward, and it can suck the air right out of your lungs! Even worse is a cold wind. The coup de grace is a cold wind in the rain! 

My least favorite marathon was the 2022 Indy Monumental when it was raining and there was a wind advisory. It was just brutal. I believe I shared before about being with a group trying to climb a hill and the gusts were so bad we all just stopped at the same time and dejectedly walked to flat ground.

Yesterday I had an 8-mile run scheduled. It rained in the morning, then turned to snow in the afternoon. I managed to find a mostly dry window between (a little sleet before the snow), but the wind was ferocious. My first mile was directly into it, and I was freezing and thought several times about just turning around and crawling under a blanket. Once I turned down Bluffton Road it wasn't so bad, plus there's a slight downhill grade. I meandered a bit down the Foster Park greenway and it was almost kind of nice... until I turned around! Ugh. The next three miles were a bit of a challenge, but once I got to the final mile, with the wind at my back, what had been the worst one way was the best going home.

Today I'm a bit sore from fighting the gales, so I'm presently procrastinating about my four mile jog. At least the sun is shining and the flags are standing still. I suppose it's about time...

I do have to say, though, it might actually be the worst weather that makes for the best feeling when it's done. I suppose there's a metaphor for life about the sense of accomplishment.

So, what is it you dread doing right now? You never know, it could be the best part of your day! Sometimes you just gotta... and it's okay. :)

No comments: