Friday, March 01, 2024

Five things friday

You know what day it is (and don't forget it is now March also)...

  1. I was chatting with a friend at the gym yesterday and it turns out his dad was having the same procedure (ablation) that day that I'm scheduled to have next week. Small world; or popular procedure.
  2. I won a free book! I hardly ever enter contests - especially online. However, the Englewood Review of Books is run by a friend/acquaintance and they were having a free giveaway of a book I wanted to get... so I entered... and I was selected to get a free copy of David Fitch's new book Reckoning with Power: Why The Church Fails When It's on the Wrong Side of Power! It made my day.
  3. Speaking of books, yesterday I started reading How to Know a Person: The Art of Seeing Others Deeply and Being Deeply Seen, by David Brooks. Our pastor is reading it and he recommended it for the upcoming teaching series I'm involved in. I've read many of David's articles and like his writing, so I'm looking forward to reading this as I recover from my heart procedure.
  4. And, what the hey, let's just make this a three-book Friday. I recently added Brian McLaren's Life After Doom: Wisdom and Courage For A World Falling Apart to my amazon wish list. Not only is it being released on our wedding anniversary date, but it looks like something I really, really need to hear. Plus, I haven't read a McLaren book in awhile. He had a huge impact on my journey a number of years ago (that 'New Kind of Christian' trilogy was amazing) and I've kinda lost track of him.
  5. "It is the most counterintuitive aspect of Christianity, that we are declared right with God not once we begin to get our act together but once we collapse into honest acknowledgment that we never will." -Dane Ortlund

 And there ya have it. Have a great day, folks! Btw, what are you reading, or wanting to read??

1 comment:

Jane said...

Someone recommended Into the Silent Land. :) I have had it sitting by my side of the couch for a while now. I just need to get it started. Maybe today would be a good day...